Saxenda (liraglutide) is similar to a hormone that occurs naturally in the body and helps control blood sugar, insulin levels, and digestion.
Saxenda is an injectable prescription medicine that may help some obese adults or overweight adults who also have weight-related medical problems, and children aged 12 to 17 years with a body weight above 132 pounds (60 kg) and obesity, to lose weight and keep the weight off. It is used together with diet and exercise.
Saxenda is not for treating type 1 or type 2 diabetes. Saxenda is not a weight-loss medicine or appetite suppressant.
Indications and Usage
Saxenda® (liraglutide) injection 3 mg is indicated as an adjunct to a reduced-calorie diet and increased physical activity for chronic weight management in:
- Adult patients with an initial body mass index (BMI) of 30 kg/m2 or greater (obese) or 27 kg/m2 or greater (overweight) in the presence of at least one weight-related comorbid condition (eg, hypertension, type 2 diabetes mellitus, or dyslipidemia)
- Pediatric patients aged 12 years and older with body weight above 60 kg (132 lbs) and initial BMI corresponding to 30 kg/m2 or greater for adults (obese) by international cut-offs
Limitations of Use
- Saxenda® contains liraglutide and should not be coadministered with other liraglutide-containing products or with any other GLP-1 receptor agonist.
- The safety and effectiveness of Saxenda® in pediatric patients with type 2 diabetes have not been established.
- The safety and effectiveness of Saxenda® in combination with other products intended for weight loss, including prescription drugs, over-the-counter drugs, and herbal preparations, have not been established.
Made in Korea